Do I need a new hot water cylinder?
One of the questions that we get asked a lot at The Cylinder Guy is whether our customers need a new hot water cylinder or whether the current one can be repaired.
There are normally two reasons that we get called out, the first is around the cylinder leaking, and this can be anything from a slow drip to a major deluge, and the second is around the cylinder not heating the water.
If the reason for calling is that your cylinder is leaking then where it is leaking from is important to understand whether it can be fixed or whether it needs to be replaced.
The things to look out for are:
1. If the leak is from the bottom of the cylinder, or there is signs of rust, then this normally means that the internal workings are not great, and it’s time to think about a replacement. The leak is the first part of the visible signs that things aren’t well.
2. If the leak is from the taps/valves or the pipes, then this normally means that it is a simple problem that can be fixed by a qualified plumber and a replacement cylinder is not needed.
If however we get there and we find a leak and at the same the hot water cylinder is not heating the water, or it is just not heating the water as a single issue, then we call the electrician in and fix the thermostat or the temperature probe or anything else that could be associated with an electrical problem.
So to recap…
- If the leak is from the bottom of the cylinder, it likely means a replacement.
- If the leak is from the pipes or taps, it can typically be fixed.
- If the water is not heating, we call in the electrician, and it can usually be fixed.
These are only general guidelines, and to get a proper assessment you can call us 0800 234 800 or send us your details and we'll sort it out for you.